Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Holiday Weekend !!!

Ok so I am doing some yard work at my Dad's house and he receives a phone call from my cousin who I have not seen in 45 years... I know it is a stretch.  I thought someone had died. My cousin, invited my Dad and the fam to visit and take part in a 4th of July party.  My Dad could not say no.  He has not been to Frederick, PA in six years. It was time for a road trip.  I was not looking forward to the 5 hour drive but I managed to talk myself into it.  So the final count was Me, Dad, and the kids.  The drive was amazing going through Garrett, Allegany, Cumberland and just below Pittsburg.  The town of Frederick is just a spit.  I have to share some pics of the place.  What a great vacation spot.  A minute of history, this was a coal town and the miners would use the foot bridge to get from one side of the river to the other.  So enjoy the pics, I can't wait to go back.
  
Stairs to 2nd floor of hotel
 
Foot bridge

 


My cousin owns this hotel:
The Riverside Inn
Frederick, PA
  


Sitting area in hotel

 
2nd floor hallway of hotel.

Bar area. 

 
 

The Riverside Inn was amazing.  If you like old rustic places, this is the one for you.  The hotel was built in 1903 and most of the wood in the hotel is still original. The carved wood behind the bar was brought up from New Orleans in 1903 by the river. The hotel has 12 rooms, dining area and the bar.  The history of this little town was pretty interesting.  The other fun fact we found out is that the river flows north.  Most rivers flow south, who knew.



No comments:

Post a Comment